If you’ve been out to your local beginner-friendly surf spot, you’ve almost certainly seen the Wavestorm Soft Top Surfboard in the water. This is the most popular “foamie” on the market, and is a favorite of newbies as well as surf shops.
All About the Wavestorm
Overall, Wavestorm's soft top board is a well-designed foam board for beginners. It has plenty of volume to float riders up to 200lbs, and lives up to the brand’s motto of “The World’s Number One Name in Surfboard Fun.”
The Wavestorm uses a classic 3 stringer system, with a strong EPS core. This ensures solid durability even for beginners that are always “tough” on their surfboards.
The Wavestorm’s top deck has a textured grip (although you can still wax it if you’d like) that makes popping up without slipping a breeze. The board’s bottom is a slick HDPE material that provides stiffness and maintains its shape well.
Included with the Wavestorm are bolt-through fins (with the bolts), an ankle leash, and a traction pad to help you keep your balance as you’re riding waves. This board comes with everything you need to hit the water.
Maintenance and FAQs
Here you’ll find answers to some of the most common questions about the Wavestorm surfboard.
How Long is a Wavestorm Surfboard?
The classic Wavestorm you’ve probably seen at your local break is 8′ long, but they do make other sizes all the way from 5’6″ to up to 9′. The 8′ model is the perfect beginner surfboard for most riders, but it’s worth taking a quick look at our surfboard size charts to make sure you pick out the right sized board for your height and weight.
How do you Wax a Wavestorm?
Not all foam boards are designed to be waxed, but yes, you can wax a Wavestorm. My favorite wax is the original Sticky Bumps surf wax. It’s tried and true, and they offer it in both a “cold water” and “warm water” formula depending on the temps at your favorite break.
- A combination of the Cool & Cold formulas, allowing sticky grip in a wider range of...
- Four boxed wax bars included.
- Boxed individually for clean transport and easy access
- Easy to apply
Here’s a short clip showing how to wax a soft top surboard:
Can you Mount a GoPro to a Wavestorm?
Want to make it onto Kook of the Day? Then you’re going to need a solid GoPro mount to fully document your wipeouts.
We recommend this over-the-top but awesome 50-in-1 accessory kit, that has everything from floaties to tripod mounts:
- Multi-Use: Specially designed for different camera models to meet your needs. Easily...
- WRIST STRAP + CAR SUCTION CUP MOUNT: Wrist strap features 360° rotation and helps...
- MINI TRIPOD + SELFIE STICK: Small, Lightweight and portable. The mini tripod is also...
- HEAD STRAP + CHEST STRAP: Perfect for POV action shots. Fully adjustable to fit a...
- BIKE HANDLEBAR HOLDER: Three-way adjustable pivot arm. Easily adjusts to different...
This video walks you through how to securely mount a GoPro to your Wavestorm:
How do you Repair a Wavestorm?
Crashed your board into some rocks? Significant other through it out the 3rd floor window? Then you’re going to need a surfboard repair kit to patch up any dings. I really like this Ding All kit, because it comes with a variety of tools and resins to fix most basic dents and cracks:
- THE ORIGINAL POLYESTER SANDING RESIN: Ding All Polyester Resin contains Silmar brand...
- LARGER SURFBOARD REPAIRS KIT: Purposed for larger polyester ding repairs, this kit...
- ALLOWS EASY SANDING: This resin is non tacky and dries smooth providing the user an...
- A COMPLETE REPAIR KIT: This MADE IN USA kit come with 4oz. sanding resin plus...
- BONUS SUN CURE RESIN: If smaller dings are being fixed, the kit comes complete with...
Can you Really Buy a Wavestorm at Costco?
The answer is… sometimes. Costco’s selection is seasonal, and subject to availability. Personally, when I tried to pick one up at my local Costco, they weren’t in stock. I’d recommend just buying one on Amazon.
Final Thoughts and Where to Buy
The Wavestorm has pretty much defined the category of soft top surfboards. It’s a classic that you are sure to see at your local break, and you can’t go wrong with this choice. Pick one up on Amazon here:
- Soft Foam Construction Classic Surfboard, strong EPS core with 3 stringer system
- Soft WBS-IXL ( Water Barrier Skin ) crosslink top deck and rails High Density (HDPE)...
- Included removable bolt thru fins ankle leash traction pad
- Dimensions 8' x 22 1/2" x 3 1/4" Weight 11.5 lbs
- Volume 86 liters